History of the Academy

SUNMONTUEWEDTHURFRISAT
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    
SUNMONTUEWEDTHURFRISAT

Celebrating 150 Years of Canada and 30 Years of EIA

Edmonton is not only the city of champions where great leaders and figures have emerged but it can also be called the city of dreams. It has become a central point of North America’s evolving Muslim history. Edmonton's Muslim Community has contributed to the city’s dynamic character for over a century. Canada's first mosque, Al-Rashid Mosque, was built in Edmonton in 1938.

 

The Edmonton Islamic Academy (formerly Edmonton Islamic School) was established in 1987, in the basement of the Al-Rashid Mosque, with 21 students. The school grew quickly, and by 1997 the registration had increased to 186 students.

 

In the spring of 2004 construction of the new ($22 million) facility of the Edmonton Islamic Academy started. This was a huge project that required enormous efforts and sacrifices and involved the Muslim Community in the City of Edmonton and beyond. The new state-of-the-art building was ready to open its doors in September of 2006. The interior of the school facility was completed with immaculate detail that provides a beautiful mixture of Islamic architectural tradition and contemporary art.

 

Today, more than one thousand students attend the Academy from Preschool to Grade 12. Due to the increasing demand, the Academy has initiated an expansion project. Phase 1 of the project will (inshaa’Allah) be completed by September 2015.

 

Share this page